Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Blog Entry 4: Photographing little ones.

I have the best connection with kids, when I worked in a daycare the kids opened up to me quickly and put their trust in me. While it may seem easy to do with any kid you may know it is a lot harder with kids you don't know or have connection to. After working with little munchkins ages 2-6 I fell in love with the idea of basing my photography around children and families. I started taking images of them when I first got my camera and it was the best thing and over the years I can see a major improvement. Here is a little of my progress.

Silvia Kay Photography
In this image I used two house lights with daylight lightbulbs. The daylight lightbulbs had a blue tint to it and helped cancel out yellow tones. I took this photo in October of 2011 before I knew anything about speedlites and strobes. Using the basics of house lighting and sheets as a backdrop which was hung up with gaffers tape.

Silvia Kay Photography
In my second image I used my newly learned flash for a key light and daylight for my fill.

Silvia Kay Photography
In my third and final image for this blog post is taken with daylight and a flash set up to be like a strobe.  The flash was set on a light stand with a mini soft box over it. although I accidentally cut the tips of her toes it captures the pure happiness and excitement of the little girl.

Within these three images you can see the connection grow closer from a slight smile to a "i'm a silly girl and i'm not afraid to show you on camera" I have another great image take with strobes but I don't have a release for the internet to show it but it goes right into deep emotional thought. 

I love taking photos of children and families, they are a lot of fun to myself. 

Happy Shooting,

-Silvia Kay


No comments:

Post a Comment